Helping BCBAs overcome burnout so they can optimize their wellbeing, seek renewed energy, and find greater fulfillment and success in their work.
A BCBA RETREAT WHERE WE RESET, BUILD COMMUNITY & DEFINE OUR VALUES.
November 1 - 3, 2021 | Scottsdale, Arizona
Leave your personal and professional stresses behind and join defy community, co-founded by BCBAs Sarah Trautman and Carol Ladonna, on a community retreat designed specifically for women and non-binary BCBA professionals.
Sarah and Carol understand firsthand the challenges of working as a behavior analyst and the strain of constantly making high-impact clinical decisions, and your every need will be attended to during your stay at the vibrant, welcoming resort located in Scottsdale, Arizona.
Your days will be spent learning how to become a more effective, authentic clinician, eating delicious meals, completing rejuvenating activities, relaxing by the pool, and attending sessions on how to balance clinical demands and personal needs as a woman or non-binary behavior analyst. Oh, and you’ll also have the chance to earn 9 BACB CE credits in the meantime!
Monday, November 1 - Wednesday, November 3
Hotel Valley Ho, Scottsdale, Arizona
**For women and non-binary BCBA professionals.
To maximize safety for our whole group, we ask that everyone that attends the retreat has been fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Want to send your team? We've got discounted pricing for groups!
Inclusivity + Creating Change
is what we're all about
We know what it's like to balance clinical demands and personal needs. We're here to help you figure out who you are as a clinician, who you want to be, and most importantly, how to be that person. But as a leader, figuring this out is only the first step; building a community culture and guiding your team to do the same is where the change really happens. We welcome you to join this conference where you can be your whole-self, truly belong, and foster a community within your team to do the same.
The 1st Annual
Dear Burnout, BCBA Retreat
“Contextualizing Thriving: Nurturing Power, Freedom, and Purpose as Repertoires” with Dr. Emily K. Sandoz.
This workshop by Dr. Sandoz will guide you through using Acceptance and Commitment Theory to build your repertoire with respect to orienting yourself as the behaving organisms. Developing this self-compassion leads us to understand our behavior functionally in ways that are actionable and that point to clear contextual changes that would be involved in our long-term “self-care” success.
Along with Dr. Sandoz’s workshop, you will experience a 4-Part Skills-Building Course with curated breakout tracks based on your experience-level to meet your individual needs.
- Skills-Training Workshops - $1420 Value
- Hands-on Activities
- Evidence-based Solutions for clinical burnout targeting self, team, and organizational needs (More deets below!)
- 9 CEs - $225 Value
- Comprehensive Workbook - $50 Value
- Skills-Training Tools for You and Your Team to Use Long-Term - $75 Value
- Follow-up Weekly Support Groups - $160 Value
Learn how to become a more effective and authentic clinician, enjoy delicious meals, relax by the pool, make new friends, meditate and take fitness classes (optional), and attend lectures on how to balance clinical demands with your personal needs as a woman or non-binary behavior analyst.
- Multiple DAILY activity options and the choice to create your own retreat agenda based on your needs: - $80 Value
- Morning Walks
- HIIT Workouts
- Relaxing Pool Day
- Resort Rooftop Access with Mountain Views
- All Meals Included - $250 Value
- All Retreat Materials and Activities Provided - $160 Value
- Inability To Attend Insurance - $60 Value
- EVERYTHING YOU’LL NEED included so you can completely focus on YOU. - Priceless!
- PLUS - We’re packing up an exclusive defy welcome gift to help you feel pampered and loved (because you are!). - $120 Value
- Life-Long Friendship-Building Networking Events with Like-Minded BCBAs with Plenty of Instagram-Worthy Photo Opportunities
- 90’s-Themed Pajama Party Hosted by Do Better Movement - $75 Value
- Rooftop Self-Expression Gala - $150 Value
- Networking Pool Party - $50 Value
How to Book Your Retreat
Step 1: Register for the Retreat
- Early Bird Registration: $750 per person
- Early Bird registration is only available to defy members
- Not a member yet? ---> Click Here to join our community
- General Registration Member: $850 per person
- General Registration Non-Member: $950 per person
Note: Price is for retreat experience only. Hotel, airfare, and transportation not included.
Step 2: Book Your Hotel Room
- Exclusive low rates have been negotiated with Hotel Valley Ho in Scottsdale, Arizona for your stay. You MUST stay at the resort to attend the retreat. Optional retreat networking events will begin on the evening of Monday, November 1st and end on Wednesday afternoon.
- Guaranteed price is $259 per room for 3 days before and 3 days after the retreat so you can make an extended vacation out of it! Double bed or king bed options available - so you can cut costs by rooming with a friend!
- Street parking available for guests for free, valet/hotel parking for $$ for guests
Step 3: Get a Good Flight To Scottsdale, Arizona
- Book your flights in and out of Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport
- You will need to arrange your own transportation to and from the airport
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s not included:
- Round trip airfare to Phoenix
- Transportation to Resort
- Alcoholic Beverages*
- Hotel Accommodations
*We want to take this time to be present and focus on our personal wellness as BCBAs so we will not be serving alcoholic beverages during the retreat events. We guarantee you’ll leave Arizona feeling restored, renewed, and ready to combat burnout on your own when you return home.
SAMPLE DAILY SCHEDULE:
7-9am - Morning Activity and Breakfast
9-12pm - Curated Learning Experience + Activities
12-1pm - Lunch
1-5pm - Curated Learning Experience + Activities
5-7pm - Relax, Pool
7:30pm - Self-Expression Networking Gala
COME ALONE AND LEAVE WITH FRIENDS
Imagine sitting down with other clinicians who are there for YOU and your success. What if we stopped focusing on facades and started focusing on loving what's inside and using it to create positive, lasting change? There is so much power in working together especially when we are all working towards a greater cause.
Come alone, create unstoppable friendships and watch the magic you create. Our purpose is to help you create the vision you want for your life and clinical work, to surround you with other clinicians who want to help you get there, and help you develop the skill set to foster a community and team of your own within your work.
The opposite of belonging is fitting in.
And baby, you weren't born to fit in; you were born to defy,
you were born to belong.
Early Bird registration closes at midnight on June 15, 2021. General registration closes upon sell-out. Payment is due upon registration.
What is the cancellation policy?
We get it. Being a burned out BCBA is hard enough...and the uncertainty around the pandemic has made committing to events like this stressful. Our mission is to take away your stress, not add to it so we splurged, so:
Inability To Attend Insurance Is Now Included With Your 2021 Defy Retreat Registration!
You will receive a 100% refund of your registration fees, if you are unable to attend the 2021 Defy Retreat due to a reason covered under the policy. Here are the deets.
The event must go on and cannot be canceled for this coverage to apply. You are responsible for any fees associated with the hotel reservation cancellation.
- The death, injury, or illness happening to the attendee or exhibitor, a member of their immediate family who is under the age of 70, or any person(s) in the group due to attend the event with the attendee or exhibitor;
- Adverse weather including snow, frost, fog or storm where the Police service or other local Government agency have issued warning not to travel;
- Mechanical breakdown, accident, fire or theft in route of a private vehicle taking the attendee or exhibitor to this event;
- Jury Duty which the attendee or exhibitor was unaware of at the time of registration;
- The attendee or exhibitor being summoned to appear at court proceedings as a witness which they were unaware of at the time of registration;
- Burglary or fire at the residence of the attendee or exhibitor in the forty-eight (48) hours immediately before this event that required attendance of the emergency services;
- The attendee or exhibitor being a member of the armed forces and being posted overseas unexpectedly;
- Unexpected disruption of the public transport networks the attendee or exhibitor could not have reasonably known about before the date or time of this event;
- The attendee or exhibitor being relocated for work more than one hundred (100) miles from work location which they were unaware of at the time of booking, or they are unexpectedly terminated from their job.
What safety precautions will be in place due to COVID-19?
To maximize safety for our whole group, we ask that everyone that attends the retreat has been fully vaccinated against COVID-19.EXPERIENCE IT!
We are fortunate enough to receive sponsorship from our amazing partner, Do Better Collective. Thank you to our incredible 2021 sponsor for making this retreat possible!